Wednesday, October 27, 2010

prelude to the end

Today was a Monday....pure and simple.  The payback for a glorious weekend off playing and forgettin' about real life for brief moments.  That may sound easy to ya'll but it's been a loooooong time since I let go of living in struggle mode and began to celebrate the little moments.  It may or may not have anything to do with Joyce and Joel.  Time will tell, I suppose.  All I can say is if they're looking for money I'm the wrong tree to be barking up.  Pro-bono inspiration, if you will.  The Methodists ceased to think highly of me years ago when I quit teaching Sunday school to spoiled rich brats.  

Babygirl and I were sitting at the table talking about life today and I remarked that I feel like the heroine in some wild Janet Evanovich tale set in the south on a farm nestled within the boundaries of the mighty Forked Deer river.  Keeping my aging parents at home has been a joint effort amongst she and Bubba and I, a labor of love born from the sense of honor and duty that was instilled into us over the years by the both of 'em.  They worked hard all of their lives, raised children and had a lot of fun with their friends who had kids the same age.  Daddy retired from the federal government at 55, about ten years after mama walked out on her last "career" just in time to be a grandma who had time to play and make little biscuits with Lauren.  Oh...and play nurse.  When Daddy retired from the USDA he was so young that he continued to manage the farm that we live on until the dementia began to take its' toll.  That's when my brother stepped up and did a nice transition with the owner because....hey.  He knows every nook and cranny of this place.

The pecan guy just pulled up in his old blue truck and is on bended elderly knee picking up nuts.He is an inspiration to me of sorts....always coming to our lane in faith that October means some sort of crop and that you better be the first to get there.  A lot of money for Christmas presents has been cashed in with the buyers around here over the years.  Any traditional southern stocking was stuffed with nuts and candy back in the day.  We are a simple people for the most part....supported by agriculture for generations.  That was way before the big import frenzy that got us into the mess we're in today.  But that's another chapter for another day.

 





 

No comments: